Thursday, December 7, 2006

The other powers of the imagination

When I was younger, I didn't have a very powerful feel for the senses in trancework. Several years of practice (and some new conceptual models) later, I am able to see, hear and feel in trance fairly well, and smell and taste a little.

Which can sometimes lead to very interesting moments. Like last night, when I was practicing trance for a public ritual with a good friend and co-priestess. We were doing pairs trance, and when we created the anchor cord between ourselves for me to go back, she said to create a "cord . . . or a rope". Good call! Yes, great imagery for me. And I decided to very quickly imagine an energetic rope harness to use for the work.

"And you are falling back, into warm supportive water."

At which my first thought was, "Oh fuck! Hemp rope!" and I could actually feel the rope tightening for a moment, before I decided: "Nylon! It's nylon rope."

My friend must have seen the quick look of panic on my face; we had a great laugh about it later. "Next time, I'll watch for the water ahead," she said. Maybe, "It might be nylon rope . . . "

No comments: