Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Rope, and Imagination

Graydancer nails it with one of those "Yes! Yes! That's it exactly!" posts.

Yes. That's it. The beauty and terror of rope is that it engages my creative self, my sense of beauty, my desire toward the arts. It's not just an encounter with my play partner; it's an encounter with the spark of creativity in myself. That's why of the million and one ways I might top, this is the one that gets me hot every time, without fail.

I used to say I wasn't an artist. I don't say that any more.

I'm not willing to say with Graydancer that rope is somehow special in this regard, although it obviously is for me. Others paint their brushstrokes with canes, or wield so precise a single-tail they can work a bottom's face. If that's not also art, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

Nicole Margaret DiMucci Potts said...

I read Graydancer's post about rope and it really set me to thinking about it. I feel a definite association with rope that rather suprises me. We have spoken before about how it comforts me. I just realized that it holds the same energy that yarn does for me in some ways. The same comfort I get from knitting a new scarf and wrapping it tightly around me.
I have no "abilities" that I am aware of yet with rope. I am entirely too new to it. I love the way it feels to be in it, but hadn't even entertained the idea until now to ever be the one applying it. It's not an artform I am sure I could use, but seeing Graydancer's list of different ways it is used inspired me. From the obvious tying of someone, to the idea of sensual play which excites me, I can now see it as a more versatile tool. Have you experienced it this way?

Miriam Green said...

I've definitely experienced it that way.

But I have to take what Graydancer said a step further and say there's also a real artistry to rope bottoming. Rope bottoming, done well, is up with the best of performance arts: dancing, yoga, gymnastics, tai chi. I think that riggers are going to focus more on the art of topping, but done well there is a real art from both sides.