Saturday, May 5, 2007

Knots

I'm about to head out to see the Pyrate Lass for a nice kinky weekend of my ordering her to sit on the couch while I do service topping things. New direction in our kink? Not so much. She's on bedrest at the moment, and I'm just the tender du jour.

We are preparing for boredom: books and crafts, and some garden-fresh herbs so I can do a bit of cooking.

This being us, she asked me to bring books so she can practice some ties.

And being me, I've also thrown in my proper knots books on top of the shibari books, and a bit of nylon rope to practice the stuff in the Two Knotty Boys book. (More on that in another post, probably.)

I often quip that I do Japanese-style rope bondage mostly because it doesn't require fancy knots. If you can do create a larkshead, an overhand knot, and a square knot you're basically good to go. I'd started out trying to learn a lot of knots, realized I didn't really need to, and stopped learning them. A Foole's Cuff is probably as fancy as I get, and of course I'm always making up weaves on the fly to get harnesses to lay flat. I think I can tie a Camel's Hitch, but I usually end up just doing one by accident and recognizing it after the fact.

Perhaps I'm being reactionary (that article yesterday said something about not becoming a knot geek) but I'm feeling again today like I really want to learn some proper knots and hitches. Even if I don't end up using them in bondage, I might in my house or garden. And of course it's always going to be useful when the ex-Boy Scouts start trying to use knot language in the SIGs, so I can look at them a bit less blankly. And so in go the books.

Which makes me wonder what knots other bondage afficionados think I should start out with? Anyone? Anyone? Graydancer?

1 comment:

Switch said...

i'm a self-admitted knot geek... they're fun, but also a distraction from learning how to use rope on a bottom, partly because they don't need the same energy to practice. however, if you separate knots and bondage as skills, and use knots as tools in bondage, they can be really useful.
that said, i'd cast my vote for the sheet bend, the bowline, and the clove hitch. none of them are perfect, but they all do different, really useful things - the sheet bend can safely join two rope ends, even of dramatically different diameters, the bowline can make a loop that doesn't tighten, and the clove hitch can connect a rope to a pole or rail. all really good things to be able to do - useful tools in a top's repertoire.
hope your Lass feels better soon!
-z